In 1718, Thomas Alexander, a carpenter, and John Burchett, bricklayer, both of Chobham, converted the stable adjoining the house of Richard Bradford, mercer of Chobham to Frogpool House. The property was to be divided into a buttery, brewhouse and drinking house.
A conveyance of 1730 describes the property as a messuage, turf house and 20 roods of land in Chobham, bounded on the north by a stream called Frog Pool.1
Frogpool House gives the appearance of a typical symmetrical Georgian house; but the brickwork shows that it was not always so. Originally the first floor windows were low and horizontal. Apparently, at some time the roof was raised about a metre and the windows converted to typical Georgian vertical sash windows.
1. Item ref: 6200/(12)Surrey History Centre. Frogpool House, Chobham: deeds and papers The document contains the use of the word killis. Killesse/killese or cullis is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as a groove or gutter, especially in a crossbow or a roof. It appears to be used here in the sense of a room 'the killis to be brick panelled', for example.