The Domesday survey recorded the following lands as being in Godley Hundred:
|Chertsey Abbey’s lands at the time of Domesday
By Domesday (1086):
Windlesham, Bisley, Pirbright and Horsell are not mentioned in Domesday or the 14th century Chertsey court rolls.
Illustration: David Stokes
The Relationships of the Parishes
Capital manor held in free socage in the 13th, as in the 16th , century – does not have a section in the cartulary.
In the first decade of the 14th century Byfleet passed to the Crown, apparently because of the treason and indebtedness of its tenant.1, p xl
At Domesday Henlie was in Woking Hundred and held by Azor, an Englishman who gave it (the tithes?) to Chertsey Abbey.
Early in the 14th C, John de Molyns quarelled with the King at Tourney and his estate at Henle, near Guildford, was restored to Chertsey Abbey, which had claimed those lands from its foundation. 2 p118
In 1237, a dispute arose, Newark Priory claiming the tithes of Trindele and Osle, both in the parish of Chertsey. This dispute was settled by Chertsey Abbey conceding to Newark Priory the tithe of Horsehill. 2 p88
Given to the parish of Laleham by the Abbot of Chertsey in recognition of their kindness in supplying supplies to the monks during the time of the Black Death 2 p126
King William granted the “Manor of Piriford in the Forest of Windlesores” to the Abbott of Westminster in 1087. This Royal Charter carries one of very few remaining impressions of his Great Seal and is of considerable historical importance. The Charter is now kept at Westminster Abbey. The granting of the Charter was fortunate for Pyrford as the Abbey’s estates became tax free! Pyrford remained under Westminster Abbey until 1539.
The dissolution of Newark was hard on the people of Pyrford; their land was taken by the King into his hunting park which stretched for miles from Hampton Court. Local people were put under the oppressive forest laws and frequently lost their crops to his protected deer herds. Forest Law was only finally revoked at the end of the seventeenth century.
At the time of Domesday, Weybridge was in Elmbridge Hundred but held by Chertsey. In 1284 “the hamlet of Waybrugg was held in free socage of the Abbey of Chertsey by Godfrey de Lucy” Newark held the advowson of Weybridge from about the time of its foundation. 2 p91
1 Chertsey Cartularies, Vol XII. Pub: Surrey Record Society.
2 Chertsey Abbey. Lucy Wheeler. 1905